27.32 acres in Marstons Mills
27+ Acres in Marstons Mills Preserved!
A perpetual conservation restriction (CR) has been granted to Barnstable Land Trust (BLT) on the 27.34-acre Sutherland Property in Marstons Mills. The picturesque parcel – surrounded by 30 acres of fields and pine/oak woodlands interspersed with hollies, rhododendrons and tall spruce trees – is located on the shore of Shubael Pond, a 55-acre freshwater Great Pond, one of only four ponds in Barnstable stocked by the state.
Planning for the future, Ken Sutherland and his wife Suzanne were determined to ensure that the circa 1930 family home and the land around it would be protected from development, and passed along intact to future generations. Sincere thanks to the Sutherland family for their willingness to conserve this special property. Gifts of this magnitude don't often come along.
The Sutherland Conservation Restriction maintains and enhances environmental protection, recreational opportunities and community character through the permanent protection of open space by:
- Protecting over 300' along a scenic roadway, 1300' along a town way to water, and safeguarding 570' feet of vital pond shoreline frontage
- Protecting the Town's drinking water supply
- Preserving important fish, wildlife, plant and rare species habitats
- Protecting the water quality of Shubael Pond, a 55-acre freshwater Great Pond
- Improving public access to recreational resources by allowing parking for 2 cars
- Contributing to the overall scenic and historic character of the village
BLT is now the steward of 983 acres within the Town of Barnstable…moving closer to our 1000-acre LANDMark!